Monday, January 15, 2018

books


This book is really interesting but contains inaccuracies about Sojourner Truth that bother me. Hooks acknowledges its "flaws and imperfections" in the preface, so that's something at least. She wrote it when she was much younger. Importantly, it's about black women and their relationship to feminism, the differing ways in which black women and white women have experienced sexism, and the prevalent role of racism in feminism. It's an important read for anyone interested in intersectional feminism.



I listened to this via Audible. It's a sweet and whimsical book filled with all kinds of stories about the people who live in Mink River. Sad, funny, hopeful, comforting.



I think the writing is pretty good - the villains almost literally left a bad taste in my mouth. I could almost feel their griminess and smell their cigarettes and feel their aches and pains and illness. But there is just a bit too much unpleasantness about it, and what seems like a super forced attempt to create strong female characters. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate it when authors don't treat their female characters like throwaways, but something about this story seems overdone to me (and, indeed, some of the female characters are used in a pretty gross way). I don't think I can be convinced to finish the series.



I had never read A Christmas Carol before! But when I saw the trailer for The Man Who Invented Christmas, I knew I wanted to see the movie. And I knew that in order to do that, I need to read the book that it's about. So, I did. And I loved it. It's just perfect, as you all know. It's also very short, so that helps. Read it, and then watch The Man Who Invented Christmas - it's all very heartwarming. 



This was a pretty eye-opening book for me. The U.S. (and the West in general) is ultra biased in favor of extroverts, much to our detriment. I'm always happy to have it affirmed that introversion is not an affliction, and it's really gratifying to read about the many ways in which introverts should be valued and respected for their strengths. I feel like everyone should read this - introverts to make yourselves feel better, and extroverts to learn how important it is to stop and listen every once in awhile (else we might end up with another market crash).

No comments: